Sunday 14 February 2010

What Impact Did Unemployment Have on Interwar Society?

Hey,

Sorry for my blog avoidance in the last week, that thing called "University" crept up again and told me to write about unemployment up until 1939. Yeah I know. But at least it is finished now, which means I can do more important stuff, like write my thoughts for my fans*! If it is any consolation this is the first thing I have done since finishing my essay 23 minutes ago. So there.

The problem is that over the last week, rather than taking notes on important things such as Hustle (not Hustler as I had previously referred to, which means prowling for gay sex apparently. It makes poor TV). Instead I have had statistics in my head, and journals, and books, and references. For it to be finished is sweet. As I was saying, I have no notes so I am just going by my twitter updates and I'll add meat to those snippets of 140 characters.

Right ok, some things which crept up in my tweets then:

1) Hollyoaks

Ah yes, Hollyoaks. It is fine television, so it is. Previously I had only ever watched the night-time specials a few months back, when there was a terrible parachute-lesbian-psychopath storyline. With that storyline gone, the show remains fairly idiotic but still appealing. It is candid without intentionally being so. The acting is poor, the scenes which are meant to shock you do the opposite (I'm sorry but apart from Joe Calzaghe, Welsh people cannot be that hard. Fact). You know a show cannot be that great when it is merely a platform for Nuts/ITV reality TV. Still, at least we don't have to pay for it, unlike...

2)BBC Three

The retirement ground of Atomic Kitten, BBC Three is funny like Hollyoaks until you realise it's license fee money that pays for it. Three shows stick in the throat; "Coming of Age" - an immature version of "The Inbetweeners" but without the comedy and with canned laughter; "Hotter Than My Daughter" - a show where deluded, often naked, 40 year old mothers genuinely believe they are more attractive than their offspring and "Snog Marry or Avoid", where ironically, you would choose to avoid most of the girls on the show, even after their "makeunder" (see what they did there? As opposed to "makeover". That is clever that is). What is more startling about "Snog Marry or Avoid" is the Pod which gives the fashion advice. It is like the computer from 2001 Space Odyssey but with the personality of Gok Wan. In other words, just plain weird.

3)Hockey

Believe it or not I actually like to write about more than just television. I do occasionally have a life. Rather, I hire a life and use it every now and then (things such as festivals, going out etc) and then I return it to Blockbuster so I can get back to my normal quiet existence, revolving around BBC Three and Glee. But yesterday also saw the return of competitive hockey into my life, which was great. In our first match since the end of November due to the winter break, the team I play for (Glasgow Uni IIs) won 7-2. Fantastic score and the team played really well especially in the second half. Despite being a hockey team on Thursday we play football for fitness, which is also really fun. Despite my illustrious career as a semi-professional footballer (two unused sub appearances for Fort William FC, I will have you know), it appears I am not the left back I once was.

That's about it, really. Unless you want to read my essay on interwar society - which you are free to do by the way - that has been my week. Oh, unless you count the fact I tweeted my 1000th tweet yesterday. Yeah, I told you I just hired a life.

DC x

*"Fans" means my Mum.

No comments:

Post a Comment