Wednesday 3 February 2010

Living For the City..

Hey,

Music is an amazing thing, ain't it? I mean, a song, once heard, never truly leaves you does it? Unless it is a really bad song, or Scouting For Girls. Remember Scouting For Girls? They by-passed my consciousness like a seagull flying over head whilst on holiday in Majorca that won't be seen again. Touchwood.

I mention this because of what happened to me this morning. In our flat, the radio is near-enough perpetually on, and bizarrely, it is always on Radio 2. Hardly the typical choice of us stereotypical studnet folk, with our Pot Noodle, creased clothing and debt. Yet Radio 2 plays good songs. Not the type that a certain record label want you to hear (that's right, Fearne Cotton. You don't like You Me At Six at all, do you? You lie Miss Cotton, you lie) but genuinely good music. This morning, I was awoken to Stevie Wonder's "Living For the City", an amazing song which I doubt I'd hear on Radio 1 unless Westwood took a small - yet significant - accident whilst on a bicycle. The song was to epitomise my day as the search for a flat for the 2010/11 (Jesus, where do the years go?). Turns out it is tougher than you think, especially when money is involved. I'm sure it will sort itself out though hopefully. The song also reminds me of Higher Modern Studies, with all the social inequalities of the US. As I say, a song can trigger memories in a second.

The great thing about a song, especially in this day and age of "Shuffle" - a concept which seems to be suffocating the concept out of a concept album - has meant you may become distant from a song for a long time, only for it to come back to you randomly. This has also been the case with Bloc Party's "A Weekend in the City". I bumped into it by accident in amongst my unhealthy Fall Out Boy collection the other day, and I have only just realised how good an album it is. With iPod, the temptation not to really listen to a CD properly is common and this album recieved such treatment. It may be three years too late, but at least now I know. I'll let you borrow it if you want, I cannot get "Song for Clay (Disappear Here) out of my head at the moment.

My blog is almost starting to sound a bit, well, positive. We can't have this now can we! OK, back to normal. First of all, my annoyance with Iceland, regarding their bag policy. The other day, having both numerous items, I was not offered a bag, forcing ME (I know, right) to do it. "Fair enough" I thought. Yet, next in line, a girl who was arguably more attractive than I was to the male check-out operator bought a bottle of coke which he bagged personally. I don't have a problem with not getting it packed, it is the mere hypocrisy of it all. Should I be discriminated against because I lack (or at least, have very small) breasts? No. Feminism gone too far? Probably not that either, just me moaning about something pointless. Again.

Also, the loan signing of the Messiah - not an exact quote from the Bible but you can check - of Robbie Keane to Celtic failed to prevent them from losing to Kilmarnock. Those of who that are regular readers of my blog (that's right you two) will have noticed I watched Kilmarnock play and thought little of them. How silly of me. I reckon it's the fact that, regardless of who the personnel are, the team "Celtic" will not score goals. End of. Pele and Maradona would be sold to Middlesbrough if they were wearing the most recent neon-black kit disaster. Maybe their name should be changed, everything else has been tried. Perhaps "Old Firm Green" to stick true to old Pro Evolution Soccer games. Or make a bit of money out of it, being skint up here in Glasgow in all. Fans may not like "Renault Celtics" at first, but that would change once we won the Europa League.

Got to keep it realistic and all that.

DC x

No comments:

Post a Comment