Friday 19 February 2010

Eastenders.

Hey,

Apparently there was something important happening in "Eastenders" tonight. I wouldn't know because I don't watch the soap that often, it's the television equivalent of looking in one of those "House of Mirrors" and seeing a glimpse of yourself which is far from positive.

I am not alone in this disposition towards "Eastenders". Yet ratings for tonight's show will be as high as they have been in recent years. Why is this so? Is it because it's the 25th anniversary? Is it because as a nation we have been gripped by this classic "who done it" storyline?

No. Everyone watched it tonight because it was live. And when there is live TV there is, inevitably, mistakes. These are soap actors, after all, they can't just act like turning on a tap! You cannot just "become" a ginger guy with a murderous streak (or not, as I have been told). No, no, no. Live TV can be cringe worthy, with accidents and fumbling of lines aplenty. Which means that if something did go wrong, we could all watch it. And it would be bloody hilarious, too. Imagine if Pat Butcher just blurted out "COCK!" by accident. Like, "Ricky (is he still in that show?), pass the cock book! Err I mean cook book!". Television would never be the same again.

It's this morbid interest in accidents and disasters that keeps viewers interested and, to be honest, I'm surprised the major soaps haven't done it more. Disasters on live TV is a huge winner, unless you are an Arsenal fan in which case, it's worked against you this week. But the potential, if not the recipe, for disaster keeps eyes on the screen. I am pretty convinced "Dancing on Ice" will only stay on our screens if someone has a nasty accident. Soon. I mean, five series or so of Torvil and Dean needs an extreme edge, otherwise we would be knocked out cold by Philip Scholefield's banter.

Which leads me quickly onto the Winter Olympics. As keen a follower I am of sports, this entire spectacle, as in most years, has just flown past me. I don't have a TV, plus it is on at awkward times (damn Canadians). All I know is that Britain haven't won anything yet. Which means the Curling hasn't started yet, in other words.

DC x

No comments:

Post a Comment