Friday 5 February 2010

Blogs for an Accerlated Culture.

Hey,

Can you by any chance fetch me a mop? The blood from my slit wrists is going everywhere. And on the laptop too. Aww crap it's gonna break again...

A bit extreme, perhaps. But this is the closest metaphor I could find to display my raw emotion as my ears and eyes - which, by the way were once my favourite senses - were unfairly punished by the atrocity of Jedward's new single. I don't really know what is worse; the fact that Freddie Mercury is not alive to experience this monstrosity, or the fact that my idol Vanilla Ice - proud owner of the song which was number 1 the day I was born - has sold out by collaborating on this song. Either way, it hurts really bad, like being stabbed by their acutely sharp hair styles. By the way, does anyone know the difference between John and Edward? I don't, for one. At least with Ant and Dec they perpetually stand in the correct order. And Ant has a huge forehead, that helps as well.

It has not been the best couple of days for me, musically, as I discovered this week Fall Out Boy, ie the soundtrack of my teenage years, have split up. This wasn't really a surprise (the releasing of a Greatest Hits and the hiatus they announced in November may had been clues) but it was still a bit upsetting nonetheless. It was a metaphor for my youth, for I realise now I am far closer to adulthood than kidulthood. And it is all very depressing. What is more, my Dad, rather than comfort me, simply said "I told you so. They aren't like Paul Weller, after all". And I suppose this is true. If anything, I am surprised some of the other bands I like are still going after all this time. It must be hard for Brian Molko to write about teenage angst when Placebo have been around since the mid-90s, for example.

Life is not all bad, far from it. I have distractions, little insignificant things which keep my mind away from such depressing thoughts. Often these are unintentional little things; for instance, in one of my classes the other day a boy of Asian descent (which country I am not sure) was proudly wearing a Celtic jersey. This cheered me up. I can't really say why though, after all, it was just an example of successful global marketing. But hey, it's Celtic global marketing. And that makes it good. If it were a Rangers jersey he was wearing my mood would be diminished. But this is my blog, which means I'm allowed a high degree of hypocrisy, ok?

Another distraction is for me is reading. The last couple of months, especially since leaving High School is that I love books. They are great. Like, the way you can just pick up a book and enter a completely different world. I am currently reading "Generation X" by an author who's name I can't really remember just now. I could easily go and get the book now but that would involve leaving my chair. And I don't want to leave my chair, I am quite comfortable thank you very much. The point is, people who don't read should read more, because you don't need 3D glasses when you have an active imagination.

By the way, sorry for the lack of blogness (if that is a word) yesterday. I was travelling up the A82 ton Fort William yesterday evening. Hence, today's blog comes from my hometown, the place where my first bout of entries derives from. It's weird not writing this in my Murano cell, on my laptop whilst sipping tea and listening to Bloc Party (I am still listening to "Weekend in the City") but rather the "House" computer, with it's Windows XP and lonely existence in the corridor. It is probably a better PC than my laptop though.

Anyways, I'm going to call it a night for today's installment. Remember all the stuff I said about reading? Screw it, I have an XBox upstairs!

DC x

No comments:

Post a Comment