Thursday 25 March 2010

Celtic, Cider, Crap.

Hey,

Sometimes I wish I was more cultured. When I (seldom) go to exhibits or museums I feel like I should be more impressed than what I am by what is on display. I know a drawing should be able to blow me away, and I can understand the difficulties in creating a masterpiece, but I have never been able to gasp with astonishment at a portrait the way I could gasp at say a football stadium. As much as I loved my trip to London last year, the highlight was not going to a West End production but to seeing the Emirates Stadium. When I buy a broadsheet I read the Sports, News and Opinions (in that order). The quaint supplements provided with the paper - " 2 or what have you - is almost always ignored.

This is a very fanciful (and in many factual instances wrong) introduction to the point that I wish Celtic would stop losing. I am a Celtic fan, a pretty big follower I like to think. But this evening they lost again. This time it was bad. Really bad. 4-0 to St. Mirren to be precise, possibly the worst defeat since the 5-0 defeat to Artmedia Bratislava (who?) in 2005.

I should maybe rephrase all that. I do not regret being a Celtic fan; it consumed my childhood and I loved it. I still do love those big European nights, I still swear like hell at Kyle Lafferty, I still remember all the useless trivia. It's just when you are use to your team being successful, to lose on a seemingly regular occurrence just hurts really, really badly. Almost as badly as today's Budget.

Now that is an exaggeration for which I apologise for. Alistair Darling's Budget today was for the most part fairly solid I thought, and it ticked most of my boxes. Bar one. The tax increase on cider. Why cider? Why me? Why not Buckfast? Why not fags again? Why?

I'm not the only one feeling like this; I have trending topics on Twitter and Facebook petitions to back me up and everything. I doubt I've never felt so British as when I saw "White Lightening" trending above Alistair Darling. I've never felt so proud to British for so many reasons, most noticeably the spelling mistakes.

However I am also realistic: 10% is not that much of an increase, really, it's just the principle of it. And besides, it would take prohibition and copious amounts Meow (don't know what it is? Follow the link at the bottom) to change my vote in May.

Night night.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=brass+eye+cake&page=&utm_source=opensearch

DC
x

No comments:

Post a Comment