Monday 3 August 2009

Overtime, Family, and the Importance of Being Emo

Hey,

I'm back to writing my blog on a Monday after my special weekend edition, once again thank you for the ideas, hope I answered them sufficiently. Which I doubt. And sorry for not answering Craig's question. Nothing personal. You're just not on Twitter.

So what's new then? Not much to be perfectly honest, apart from a few people (ie Grant) realising just how emo I actually am. He discovered this on Last FM, this site which monitors just exactly what I listen to (http://www.last.fm/user/DavidChilds). According to this I listen to an unhealthy amount of Fall Out Boy. Yeah, I like Fall Out Boy, and You Me At Six, and all that other stuff. It doesn't make me less cool now does it? I certainly hope not. The thing with music is technically no-one's taste is bad, because it is emotive. It is personal to them. Therefore, in theory there is no such thing as bad music. Apart from The Feeling. No amount of listening will make them good. Remember The Feeling? They really were awful. They had a lyric along the lines of "At least they're not lonely" which seemed to be repeated over and over like tetanus.

Speaking of music, I can't get enough of You Me At Six's new song "Kiss and Tell". To be honest it feels like I am the only one who really like this band. They played at T in the Park, and when I asked people if they went to see them I got the same response of "errr heck no!" or "sorry David, I am not gay". I will let you make your mind up, I think it's really good but you'll probably disagree, knowing you, stereotypical reader (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8auJqDS65s).

I admit if you have read my Last FM page you will think I am emo, but am I? I listen to a lot of stuff, ranging from the "emo" stuff I like from Fall Out Boy to music like Simian and Justice etc. I even listen to Akala i.e "The Black Shakespeare" So please, don't judge me?

I must say I don't help myself with the tickets I have purchased last night. Billy Talent and Rise Against when I move to Glasgow to go with the ticket for Alexisonfire I bought earlier. I'm going to enjoy it so there! They all should be good nights I am hoping.

Anyway, I think I should move away from the emo music rant on to my life. This is what this blog is for after all. I did overtime this week on my scheduled day off on Wednesday. It's surprisingly OK. The pay is good (time and a half, which is pretty magic actually) and if anyone shouts at you you just say,

"Here, I'm in on my day off I'll have you know!"

For some reason, this creates an automatic reaction of backing off. The person, only seconds ago who was slating you, now feels apologetic, without realising that I am actually getting paid more than them. This makes no sense.

I won't be working overtime this Wednesday for two reasons; 1) exam results come in and 2) the Dinamo vs. Celtic match is on TV. You can make your on decision to what is more important. Luckily, I got my grades for University last year. I'm glad. I don't think I could hack waiting for the postman again. What I am interested in is the grade I got for Hospitality. It's a really difficult course and I'll be doing well to pass. Cooking doesn't come naturally to me so if I can get a C it would be an amazing achievement.

I had family visiting this weekend, lots of them. There was Siobhan and her boyfriend Dale, who brought The Hangover with them. Hilarious. My only grumble is that Siobhan "borrowed" my Charlie Brooker book "Dawn of the Dumb". I'll be surprised if I see that book again. My uncle and his family were at my Gran's on Saturday night. I went there rather than sell my soul to the Ossian's Devil again. I am keeping tabs on my Ossian's celibacy. Currently it stands at nine days, so watch this space.

Saturday night at No.23 was a good night actually. Banter was decent, and I heard all the "How I Met Your Mother" stories which was nice. Turns out, my father didn't propose to my mum, but as they both put it, "she assumed". Amusing. A night not out also meant I was refreshed for my Sunday shift at work. And that my friends is rare.

Anyways, that is me for the week. My chest is slightly lighter after getting the emo stuff off it. Overall a decent week too, as well as a week in Morrisons can I suppose. I'll be back next week with exams results in hand.

DC

ps. Hospitality? Aye it's an Int. 2. Still tough though.

No comments:

Post a Comment