Monday 10 August 2009

Dinner, anyone?

Hey,

As far as recent weeks go by, the last seven days have actually been quite eventful. I'm not sure if more has happened or whether the fact I have chosen to take note of what I did on a piece of scrap paper throughout means I simply have more to write about. Either way I'm not short of things to say this week.

So shall we start with those exam results I was on about last week then? The postman brought with him on Wednesday two C's and two B's. Not spectacular but I'll accept. What was spectacular was I managed to achieve a B for Int. 2 Hospitality! This, I am assuming, must be a printing error. For now, in theory, I can cook. Nonsense. My speciality, which you may want to try at home, is Digestive biscuits with Primula cheese. It's delicious and ridiculously easy to make, and to be honest it's as far as my cooking ability goes so I'm expecting my mark to be downgraded to a at least a C purely for common sense. Wednesday also brought with it a win away from home for Celtic in Europe. This created a smirk on my face for the rest of the week until Friday when I discovered we play Arsenal in the next round. Oh well. At least we won away from home for once. The last time we did I was twelve years young. Seriously.

Work has been less depressing now that I officially have a leaving date following the resignation letter I wrote on Thursday. My last day is Tuesday, September 9th 2009 at 2000 hours. I cannot wait. The only downside is I will probably be back there earning a few extra faces of the Queen at Christmas. But let's not dwell on that the now. I have four weeks left, and I can live with that. Although Thursday at work was particularly awkward. Despite being a blogger (a faithful one at that) I won't go in to details if that's ok with you? Yes you, ?

Saturday, my single day off, was also eventful. I played cricket against Elgin in Fort Augustus. We lost, despite my heroic four runs, but I feel we are getting better because we are playing decent opposition every week. And because we haven't won in a few months the only way is up. Besides, we're still doing better than the football team. At night I went to town and then to a friend from work's 21st. It was nice. It also had a buffet so all was good. Note that I didn't go to Ossians again this weekend? That's sixteen days now.

When my dad goes on night shift, which is roughly one every three weeks or so, it means that me and my mother have control over the TV. This week was one of those weeks, which we used wisely to watch some films. On Monday, I witnessed my first Pink Panther movie. It made me laugh because of the slapstick, but I got the feeling I would have appreciated even more if I had seen it when I was ten. Still, the distinct lack of PC - ranging from the awful French accents to "Hello, my yellow friend!" - means it is definitely worth watching. After a break on Tuesday to watch Charlie Brooker (type "Iron Chef America" into Youtube, it is so funny) I watched "I Am Legend" on Wednesday. It's a good film but a few faults; for a start, when people die and become zombies, why do they become Golem from Lord of the Rings? There was a token Hispanic women in the film as well. Which meant she had to be superstitious and believing there is "someone watching over us". Nothing wrong with this, it is just so stereotypical. Look at Mia in Heroes for instance. The third and final film we watched this week was "Team America: World Police". Needless to say this was my choice, and I know at the back of my head that it wouldn't be mother's cup of hot beverage. But she really liked it, the skill to create the puppets and the sets partly, but also because of the way it mocks the mocking of right-wing America. I fast-forwarded the Puppet-Sex scene, before you ask.

Though I haven't mentioned it in recent weeks, I am still enjoying reading. I am currently reading "Netherland" by Joseph O'Neill. I can't really be bothered describing it to you, so if you are interested follow to the link to it's Amazon page (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netherland-Joseph-ONeill/dp/0007275706/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249929280&sr=8-1). The next book lined up is "Goodfellas", and I cannot wait to start reading it. If it's as good as the film it will be worthwhile.

Of course it wouldn't be my blog without me voicing an opinion on music now would it? Last night, to see if they are worth the hype, I listened to a Kings of Leon album. Not "Only by the Night", but "Aha Shake Heartbreak". I have to be honest, it's not that good. It sounds as if a county band have only just discovered electric guitars. The lead singer's vocals are erratic in some parts and intolerable in others. The "IIIII" in Pistol of Fire is the single worst noise I have ever heard. Debate commence.

So that's been my week then. Meet you here same time next week to discuss Caitlin's 70s-themed birthday party and another week at the Fish Counter? I thought so.


DC

1 comment:

  1. You forgot to blog about the whole handjob controversy and how you're now hated and a laughing stock within Morrisons! I mean, why not try and spice up this shitty blog with something decent?

    ReplyDelete