Monday 20 July 2009

The return of money. And not much else.

Hey,

So here we are again. Monday. It's 18:51 on my laptop as I type, meaning I finished work one hour and fifty one minutes ago. That's five o'clock by the way. As I said last week my life isn't getting any more exciting, with this week's blog being consuming mainly programmes/films I've watched and music that's been in my head. Basically. But please keep reading, I'll try and spark a wee bit of humour in there. I'll try.

Work remains the same, with the one difference being that I have now seemingly become competent at my job! Seriously! In recent weeks boredom has got to me so badly that I have started to get work done. I serve. I clean. I cut. I'm now a waiter, cleaner and hairdresser all in one now. Technically. Well maybe not. This morning the manuscript went as follows,

Boss: Good work yesterday, David.
Me: But....
Boss: But nothing, you did everything right for once.
Me: Really? Thanks!

Ok, so I might just be hasty in my declaration of competence. It was only one shift. But it was a tough shift, as tough as fish mongering (spell check, help me?) goes. Due to the other person being sick I was effectively working all day by myself, which meant I had to serve, "do the paperwork", "do the ice", cut salmon quite a bit, "do the reductions" amongst a list of things. For nine hours.

I write about my work today as if it was a big deal. However we must consider just how mediocre I am at my job. I'm pretty convinced my smile alone has got me through some tricky situations in the past. I have (unfairly) a reputation for being a bit of a dosser. My work appraisal read like an ADHD sufferer's Primary Five report card, because I am,

"a nice boy, but who is too easily distracted"

So I am quite happy about this acknowledgment of progress. I have been there since February 2007. Which is two and a half years. Which is twenty-nine months. The Butchery had an emergency when all the dead pigs not only came to life, but also began to fly also when news of my good work spread. My intentions are to make this a regular occurrence, although hopefully more common than my weekly blog, which is surprisingly weekly.

Work was also at the centre of my happiness as last Friday brought what is now becoming my favourite day of the month; pay day. I never fully appreciated the art of budgeting. It is an art. It's self control. It's head over heart, needs over wants, water over Pepsi, The Sun over The Times. This will sound pathetic but the first thing I did when the money was in my account was buy The Times. I missed being informed. I missed the in-depth sports coverage. Towards the end of last week I couldn't afford a newspaper. Working has allowed me to learn a few lessons. One of which is that a newspaper is actually a luxury. Before I did not know that.

With these lessons in mind, I still ended up at the Ossians on Saturday. Brief paragraph this but the conclusion is; I should stop paying them £5 every time I am in town. It doesn't help me. Especially when there's a shot bar.

Anyway, during the day on Saturday I spent the day mostly practising my guitar, since my cricket was cancelled and the weather was poor so I couldn't go out and play. Before you ask, yeah I have a guitar. I got one for my 18th birthday. I'm still in the early stages of learning but I am really enjoying it. And on Saturday I dedicated the whole day to it. I learned three new songs (America's Suitehearts, Semi-Mental, Meds) and honed my cover of Dallas Green's "The Death of Me". Such a good hobby to pick up, literally. I also picked up Linkin Park's live CD/DVD from Milton Keynes. Without exaggeration it is one of my favourite live albums, up there with "A Cross the Universe" from Justice and City and Colour's live CD. I recommend it.

Watched a few films this week too, now that we have some of the film channels back on our Sky. I watched "The Bucket" on Thursday, which is a nice pleasant film. Many critics call it "heart-warming", though I can't agree on this one. For my mother only saw the last ten minutes and by the end she was crying her eyes out. She was always the sensitive type but this is uncharted for her. She'll be bubbling over Flintoff's LBW next. And mum, because I know you read, you know I'm only joking. I also watched "Vantage Point" which is fairly "so-so" and "Cleaner" which I thought was rather good. Then again it had Samuel L. Jackson starring, so it was bound to be good anyway. The guy has a Midas touch on scripts. If only he starred in "Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny". For all of our sakes.

So, there you go. Weekly installment number six (if we exclude the photos from Athlete). More exciting memoirs soon, potentially going to M&D's next weekend!

DC

No comments:

Post a Comment