Sunday 20 June 2010

England are poor. But at least they aren't French.

Hey,

So the World Cup is going on the now and, if we are honest, it's been a bit shit. It's not been bad, but when a tournament recieves as much hype as this one has, you hope for better. Even Brazil play with two holding midfielders. Of course, they bloody go and score three against Ivory Coast, contradicting everything I have/will write in this blog. But I'm going to carry on regardless of what Luis Fabiano decides to do.

England have been poor, and because I'm Scottish I should be really happy about this shouldn't I? Well, no. Personally, I don't like this "A.B.E." (Anyone But England) attitude that many in this country has. It's embarassing, really, this mindset. It's embedded in our culture, in our national anthem. Is it really bad for a nation to build it's identity around the hatred of another country? That answer should be rhetorical.

Rather, I fall under the term "Semi Final Scot". No, it's a form of erectile disfunction. Rather, it means to support England to a certain extent, but cannot bare the prospect of hearing about it for the rest of their lives if they did what now appears to be unlikely; to win the World Cup. After all, I am a quarter English (Childs, surprisingly, doesn't have a tartan). England still have this imperialist attitude, that it is somehow all about them, this World Cup included. It is not like this., They should have realised when distance from goal became metres and not yards. Does any other country use yards anymore? Only on a football pitch, I suspect.

The most annoying thing about the World Cup for me hasn't been the vuvuzelas, or the ball (which, just for the record, is just a ball) or defence's victory over attack, but it has been France. In a nutshell, they have been, well, French really. Argumentative, incompetent, selfish and lazy are just some of the words that can be used to describe the team in the tournament. What's worst about it is that France are their at Ireland's expense, unfairly too. The irony, that they lost to Mexico who play in emerald green, is not lost on me. The sooner their flight to France to join Nicholas Anelka, the better I say.

At the same time, when it's over, I'm going to miss it. When the World Cup is on you take it for granted; not only are you watching some of the best footballers in the world, but there is just so much of it. Three games a day is not a right, it's a privelege. Even if it is Honduras versus Switzerland. Even if it's France.

DC
x

No comments:

Post a Comment