Thursday 15 April 2010

ELECTION '10 DEBATE-A-THON!

Hey,

So no doubt you have been watching these debates and what have you which have been going on. Or, at least, if you haven't been watching them you have found them difficult to avoid.

Welcome to my life.

I love enthusiasm for the General Election, but people must remember that politics is for life, not just for an election. The people who are proclaiming love for Clegg as I type probably can't tell the difference in policies between him, Cameron and Brown. Everyone seems wooed by his "honesty and intergrety" and all that nonsense. Which is fancy-talk for he would definitely be the "Snog" in "Snog, Marry or Avoid". Brown will probably always be a debating bachelor.

The positive noises, tweets and facebook statuses are very similar to those same people who blurted "OBAMA" not so long ago. And this annoys me. See this is the bloody annoying thing about democracy; everybody is equal, regardless their stupidity. Which means that the fool who stares into Dave Cameron's hypnotic stare down the ITV lens (very much in a "Demon Headmaster" style) has the same influence over who gets elected than I do. Infact, because I live in a safe Lib Dem seat, they probably have a stronger influence than me because, due to the technicalities of First Past the Post, my vote doesn't really matter, really.

The debates were ok tonight. I wouldn't go as far as saying they were good, a few things could've been introduced. Mainly boxing related;

a) Proper introductions for the speakers. For example "In the red corner, from Kirkcaldy, Scotland, the disputed Prime Ministerrrrrrrr of the United Kingggggggdommmmmmmm!!!!!!"

b) An intermission of some sort, allowing coaches to step in and help out. Imagine Alistair Campbell coming in and shouting "Work the economy, upper cut the deficit".

c) A proper referee, none of this Alistair Stewart nonsense. All he did was shout randomly the leaders names. That's not control, that's tourettes.

d) Allow "yer maw" jokes.

I think I really just prefer boxing to debating, judging from my suggestions. Apart from the last one. That's a wee treat for me.

Anyways, political rant over. First of many I'm afraid.

Night,

DC x


No comments:

Post a Comment