Monday 15 June 2009

RockNess and all that it brings

So, RockNess. Where exactly do I begin on this weekend? For a start I feel slightly like a fraud for Not arriving til midday on the Saturday and leaving fairly promptly after the Prodigy on Sunday (ps thank you Carrie and Grant for lifts to and fro), meaning I only "slept" one night rather than the three that most people I knew did.

Over-excited and under-fed, arriving at the festival I found myself under the influence of my strongbow way earlier than expected, and between 2 and 6 on Saturday afternoon it all seems a bit blurrish. I didn't miss anything major, the only reason I wanted to go on Saturday was Dizzee. Rascal.

Luckily I got there (both physically and mentally) in time to see Mr Rascal on the main stage. And I was not disappointed. The songs I wasn't too familiar with (such as Old School) were good; the ones I did know (Sirens, Dance Wiv Me, Fix Up Look Sharp) were spectacular. Once again I feel like some sort of deviant for happily singing the words which are based on racial discrimination, for example "Run when you hear the sirens comin', I can hear the sirens comin", but saying that should I? I just really like the song is all.

Which leads me to "Bonkers". The song is so simple, barely a dozen lines which work in a easy rhyming way, but it is wonderful. My improvised dance routine, which involved a clever - or at least I thought it was clever - bit in the "sex and violence" line was a particular highlight. Basement Jaxx followed Dizzee, and they too were really good, opening with "Good Luck" (my favourite Jaxx song). Only low light was the acoustic version of Romeo, was not required.

The night between Saturday night - I think it's called Saturday night but I haven't researched - went smoothly. For some unbeknown reason I ended up camping with "across the water" people, only three of which I knew. Relatively sober now in a crowd of drunk strangers, I became strangely more sarcastic; every little thing they said I criticised, every song they chanted I corrected them on their grammar ( I taught someone how to sing "Everybody Nose" by N.E.R.D 'properly'). And I'm not going to lie, I had a great time. No wonder Charlie Brooker has such a good time on "News Wipe", his humour is spreading. The rarity of sleep also crept my way at RockNess - six hours to be precise which is a lot in festival time - and for that I am very grateful.

Sunday was a different, somewhat better day in Dores. Beginning with a breakfast consisting of a Bacon Roll, Cider and Ice Cream (why?) the cider proved to be one of only two drinks I had the whole. I basically gave away my rum because during my time at the campsite I realised I was there for the music, and not for the add ons - both legal and illegal - that others go for.

Drugs are a problem at festivals like these. It's not that I'm some ignorant country boy who did not expect drugs to play a big part at RockNess - I am asthmatic after all - but it was the openess of it all that took me back. People going round shouting "LSDs for sale" in the tone of 1920s Paper Boy, for some reason I don't remember it being like that last year. They were all like people who auditioned for "Layer Cake" and failed, both black and white but with the same bloody Danny Dyer accent.

But aye. The music. It was what I was there for after all. And my and your God it was worthwhile. There was the obviously brilliant performances of the Prodigy and Soulwax, both I like and Soulwax in particluar. The remixes of Robot Rock and Phantom were superb. Luckily for me I managed to get to the very front in the Clash Tent to witness. The "Radio Soulwax" t-shirt I purchased, despite leaving me skint, is so cool it's worth it. Hopefully I'll see Justice soon. Biffy Clyro were OK, but the voice of the lead left alot to be desired, so much so I think I could've sang better. And that's saying something.

There were a few surprising acts that since arriving home I have looked up, Scratch Perverts and The Whip in paticular. The Pendulum DJ set and Chase & Status were also impressive and I left the festival with the same outlook of dance music that I had last year when I saw Digitalism, Simian and Boys Noize last year; that it is, in the right context, bloody rather good.

The weekend saw me meeting people I did not expect to; my cousin Laura, and Eve, a girl who'd I never met previously but knew "through Bebo" and is a big Dallas Green fan like myself. She has her ticket for Alexisonfire in October, I'll get mine on Friday when I get paid since money will be tight until then. I also met a girl I tried to chat up once at a "Mod Stud Con"; well, I didn't recognise her but she recognised me. I think I have one of those faces? Either way it was still embarrasing.

But that was RockNess 2009. Will I go next year? Who knows. I prefer Gigs to be honest. The money I spent on RockNess is the equivilant of seven gigs. It's a toughy. Speaking of gigs, Oasis on Wednesday at Murrayfield with Cameron should be really good, especially with Kasabian and The Enemy. I'l let you know how that, and the night out with Edinbugger folks on Tuesday, goes when I return to my laptop, which is looking like Friday night/ Saturday morning.

Stay classy,
DC


ps Hannah and Rachael, hope J-land continues to be magic! And I want some Mountain Dew now.




No comments:

Post a Comment