Sunday 28 June 2009

Glasto, Jacko and Wimbledon-O?

Hey.

Remember how I said I would make my blog a Monday evening affair? Well, for this week only I'm doing it tonight (Sunday). Partly because I worry I will not be bothered to do it tomorrow after doing 6-2 at work (that's six in the morning, which is early, so very early), partly because doing so now means I don't have to endure watching Status Quo at Glastonbury which is on in the Childs' household currently. We will get to Glastonbury later though after my life has been put through it's weekly analysing on the Internet.

My life has been fairly dull this week. Work has been fine, with nothing being as nearly troublesome as the OctopusGate of the previous week. Although I did get pulled up for the size of my Salmon fillets and my parsley distribution. Seriously. Parsley distribution sounds like the worst job to receive when turning up to aid work to me;

"So what am I going to do here then? Build a school? Create a well? Curve the trend of illiteracy?"

"Err... no. Parsley distribution actually. I'm not lying it's an important job!"

"You are lying though aren't you?

"Yes, yes I am."

Regardless of that pointless monologue I still failed to distribute my parsley to Morrison's standard. The consequences of this I will share if/when they come. I doubt there will be consequences though to be honest.

On Friday, I went to see Athlete at the BA Club, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised at how good they were. A reviewer would call the gig "intimate", and heck, who am I to disagree? Me and my friends were literally (yes, literally) a metre away from the lead singer. My only concern beforehand was that I knew little of their material. The only song I knew properly was "Wires", but it turned out I knew more than expected. Overall a very good gig, closing with "Wires" which was dedicated to the Bromies!* I also exchanged Facebooks with the drummer of the support band "Capital" for £5 and their EP. Does this make me sad? I don't know. But if you're reading this, where did you get the link from? Exactly. Whilst we are talking music, I bought Alexisonfire's new album "Old Crows/Young Cardinals". I recommend.

Played cricket. Lost cricket. This is becoming a recurring theme which I'm not enjoying. I managed to do worse - albeit slightly- by scoring twelve runs. I have faith that we will do better though, like you care. Which I doubt.

As you can see, my life has been pretty dull this week, and with so many other things going on it would be nonsensical of me not to mention such events. So, let's start with the retirement home which is Glastonbury. I'm not ageist or anything like that, all I am saying is this; Status Quo, why? I mean, seriously, what is the point of them playing at it? I rather see someone with learning difficulties shout random words over and over again. Hence the success of Britain's Got Talent.

But they are not the only ones to go on board the SAGA coach to Glastonbury this year. Crosby, Stills and Nash, Springsteen, Madness, Neil Young. It's like pressing play on a docking station at a party without realising you took your Dad's iPod by accident. There were still some music from the 21st Century there like Dizzee Rascal, Kasabian, Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party, Pendulum. But - and this will make me look cool - I've seen them live before anyways.

Another great tradition we have here other than a nostalgic desire to bring back bands not from our own generation is Wimbledon. It annoys me that for two weeks of the year the British public suddenly realise that they are tennis fans. It annoys me further when people say and write that us Britons love tennis, for this is nonsense. If Britain loved tennis, we wouldn't have allowed Greg Rudeski to be British, would we? Nor would we would have required him to be so. We speak of great duels between Nadal and Federer, but how often, outside of the months of June and July, do you see "Nadal vs Fed" outside a pub? You see, Britain does not love tennis at all; Britain loves Wimbledon, and there's a difference. We - I say "We" for I am as guilty as everyone else - love the tradition of it all; the tennis whites, the Robinsons fruit juice, the frantic running of the ball boys even when it seems so pointless and, ultimately, the inevitable demise of the Great British hope. I have a feeling Andy Murray is in danger of an almighty collapse. My bet is against Andy Roddick. Speaking of almighty collapses....

Michael Jackson. His death has just been in the news, he has been the news. Personally, I heard the rumours that he had died whilst on Twitter, though I did not receive full consolation until Sickipedia had broken down. It's a shame that he will probably be remembered for "touching kids" even when this was proven otherwise.

Will his funeral be televised to the same standard of the news channels on Thursday night, though? When it was confirmed that he had died I watched the coverage that the channels offered, and it varied wildly. Al Jazerra, for instance, had no coverage at all at his death. Ignorance! Apparently, there's some voting problem in Iran or something like that. Bloomberg TV also showed no coverage. Once again, ignorance! Surely they can see that his death is very important economically. Think of all the CDs bought after his passing - an 8000% increase in sales is reported - and what are these bought with? Money of course! Get it sorted, Bloomberg.

They should take some tips from Sky News. To support their pictures from Los Angeles, they had Uri Geller on the phone. Now, Uri Geller had just found out that his close friend had died, and then has to endure Kay Burley on the phone. Tough evening. He probably hasn't been this distraught since the time he found out bending spoons with your mind was not as cool here as it is in Israel. Especially when you can bend it physically. Even I can do that. It's well easy.

Anyways, that's me for this week. I don't have any plans so next week's blog could well be me commenting on Andy Murray's defeat. Oh well.

All the best,

DC

*"Bromies" is the term that myself and my friends Cameron and Stevie refer ourselfs as. It stands for "Brothers", "Homies" and "Roomies" from our London trip. And yes, we are very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment